Summertime just screams hot soup doesn’t it? I know, I know I must be crazy, but I can’t help what this tummy craves.
To satisfy my cravings, I decided to make this Turkey Sausage Kale Noodle Soup! I am trying to eat as organically as possible so this soup is made with all organic goodies. From the kale, to the sausage, to the noodles, to the broth…rest assured you’re getting all of the nutrients and none of the antibiotics/chemicals.
In addition to going organic, I am also trying to take in as many nutrition rich foods as possible, so I went with brown rice pasta to get the fiber and protein I want without the gluten.
With a perfect balance of pasta, meat, and broth….this soup was deliciously tasty and I think you will agree!
2 cups brown rice pasta spirals (regular pasta could be used as well)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
6 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (I used organic)
1 pound spicy italian turkey sausage
4 cups tuscan kale, remove from stems and cut into pieces
Optional: 1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, plus more for sprinkling
1. Cook pasta according to package directions
Note: You can also wait and cook the pasta in the pot once the broth boils, however since brown rice pasta tends to get mushy when overcooked, I cooked separately.
2. Heat a large pot over medium-low heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes then stir. Cook until onion and garlic soften and are flagrant, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Once cooked, add in the broth, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
4. Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the sausage from the casing and make into crumbles while adding it to the skillet. To avoid over drying, add 2 tablespoons of water to the pan and cook until the sausage is browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
5. When the broth starts to boil, stir in the kale and the 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning and cook for 5-7 minutes. Once sausage is finished you can put in the soup at any time.
6. Add cheese and more Italian seasoning, if desired, and let simmer until you are ready to start eating!