I wanted Italian, but I wanted healthy Italian so I whipped these bad boys together. With Organic Ground Turkey meat, flax substitute, and brown rice pasta, this dish is not only delicious but nutritious.
What makes meatballs so delicious is that they are versatile. You can bake, pan fry, put in sauce and simmer, and even grill. I decided to sear then bake and my husband and I both agreed that these were incredibly juicy. Since you can’t really get a feel for what they look like with the sauce, I included a picture below!
See how they are crispy, yet still juicy? And, look at all that fresh basil and parsley….Mmmm, you won’t be disappointed!
Serving Size – 2 People, roughly 11 Small/Medium Meatballs
1/2 tablespoon oil
1/2 lb lean ground turkey
3 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄8 cup onion, finely chopped
1⁄8 cup parsley, chopped
1/8 cup basil, chopped
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 Flax Egg (directions below) – 1 Tablespoon Flax Meal and Water
1⁄4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs (any breadcrumbs can be used)
Optional: Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- Prehat oven to 350 Degrees F
- Make the flax egg by adding 1 tablespoon Flax Meal and 3 tablespoons water to a small bowl and letting sit for 5 minutes
- Mix all the ingredients and shape into 11 meatballs. To get the appropriate size, I use a cookie scoop and added about 1/2 teaspoon more meat. You can make any size that you would like
- Lightly oil a large nonstick pan on medium heat and sear meatballs on each side. This isn’t required but it will not only help keep the meatballs crispy on the outside and keep them so they bind. This should only take a few minutes. You can also pan fry for about 6 minutes on each side and skip the baking but I personally feel baking keeps the meatballs full of flavor
- On a parchment lined cookie sheet, bake the meatballs for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through
- When finished, put in your prepared sauce, top with cheese if you would like, and enjoy!
Serve with brown rice pasta, a side salad, and glass of red wine!