I haven’t had the time to update the blog in a while since I’ve been so busy, but I didn’t want to keep these amazing cupcakes from you much longer!
I found these on my computer companion, Pinterest, and knew I had to make them. My inlaws were coming and always expect a sweet treat when they arrive (I learned the hard way when they came with sugar-starved stomachs and I had nothing to deliver), so I asked them what their request was and once they said “peanut butter”, I got right to work on these. As much as I would like to say that I came up with this recipe all on my own, I most certainly did not. I did change around 1-2 ingredients but otherwise the original recipe was fantastic, easy to follow, and delicious. You can find the original here (http://www.somewhatsimple.com/reeses-chocolate-peanut-butter-cupcakes/) or you can read below.
This will certainly satisfy all of your hungry, peanut butter, chocolate cravings, so be ready to indulge after making these!
Serving Size: 12 Cupcakes
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon hot water
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter, cut into small pieces
1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy low fat peanut butter (worth it to make it a little healthier)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons almond milk (regular will work too)
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 bag mini reese’s peanut butter cups (and more for nibbling ;))
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil or shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 and line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and hot water until smooth and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together butter and sugar. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth – be sure not to burn. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, and beat until the mixture is cool, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and cocoa mixture, and blend until smooth. With the mixture on low speed, add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the sour cream. Mix until smooth.
- Scoop into prepared pans, filling 2/3 full (leaving about a 1/2 inch at the top). Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes. Let cool before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting by beat together the butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk. Add powdered sugar gradually until desired consistency is reached, adding more milk if needed then beat until creamy and fluffy. Set aside and make chocolate droppings.
- To make the chocolate droppings, add the chocolate chips and the shortening to a microwave safe bowl. Heat for about 30 seconds, then stir. Repeat at 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted and smooth (shortening can burn so you really want to be sure not to overcook, you just want to melt the chocolate). Once melted, here comes the fun part!
- Frost your cupcakes, using a spoon drizzle the chocolate on top and top with chopped peanut butter cups…time to wow your guests!