Although there are tons of recipes all over the internet for strawberry margarita jell-o shots…HOW could you resist this picture??
Some recipes call for salt along the rim but save yourself the disgust and just do sugar with lime juice and lime zest.
Well, enough talking. Let’s get to the recipe, shall we?
24-30 large strawberries – Roughly 2 pounds
1 box Strawberry Jell-O (the smaller box will do just fine!)
1 cup tequila
3/4 cup cointreau
1 Cup Sugar (or more if it starts getting moist from lemon juice)
1. Cut the tops of the strawberries, just enough to remove the step
2. Also cut a TINY piece off the tip of the strawberry…just enough so that the strawberry will stand, but not too much where there forms a hole (trust me….if you do, it’ll get messy).
3. Using a small knife (paring knives worked great), cut out the inside of the strawberry. Just like before, make sure not to cut too deep so that there forms a hole, but just deep enough to pour the juicy tequila jell-o inside!
**This is by far the hardest part, but I promise, it’s worth all of the fruit frustration**
4. Place on a baking sheet
5. Combine Jell-O mix with 3/4 cup boiling water and stir with a whisk for 2 minutes to completely dissolve.
6. Stir tequila and cointreau into the Jell-O mixture.
7. Using a container with a spout, pour Jell-O/booze mixture into strawberry cups. Fill them up as much as possible.
**Jell-O shrinks once it’s hardened, so be sure to fill up as much as you can.
8. Refrigerate for four hours or until firm.
9. Meanwhile prepare the rim by first zesting lime into a plate of sugar.
10. Slice lime and juice onto a plate
11. Wet the sides of the solidified Jell-O shot with lime juice and roll in your sugar-lime zest.
**You could also use water, or more tequila if you’re feeling frisky**
12. For additional garnish slice additional lime into thin slices, then cut into small wedges and place along the edge of each strawberry.