If you love turkey as much as I do, then you’ll just fall in love with my spin on a bacon burger! I have made something similar in my previous posts, but this rendition of my turkey burger couldn’t be left behind. You have the ground turkey meat, you have turkey bacon for stuffing, and turkey bacon for topping….woah, can you say Gobble Gobble? So, we originally made plans to go out for dinner, but when our plans changed, we needed something quick and easy to make last minute. Luckily, I had just gone to the store and bought burger meat and turkey bacon….and with a half avocado waiting for me in the fridge, my food brain and I went and got things going! This meal is easy to prep, easy to cook, and easy to eat and on the healthier side of burger eating too, so it’s a win win win. This recipe is customized serving two people, but if you want to cook more, just make sure to increase the ingredient amounts.
1/2 Pound Ground Turkey
2 Teaspoons Bread Crumbs
1 Tablespoon Diced Onion
4 Strips Turkey Bacon (reserved)
1/2 Egg Whites from (1) Egg
2 Teaspoons Parsley
1 Garlic Glove minced
1/8 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/8 teaspoon Worcester Sauce
4 slices Whole Wheat Toast
Additional Toppings – Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, etc…. (Optional)
- Preheat your grill to high (If you’re grilling). You can pan sear as well – when you’re ready to cook burgers just put a little olive oil (or spray) on the pan and let it heat on medium heat then add the patties
- In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs, egg whites, parsley, salt, and pepper and set aside
- Sauté onion and garlic in a little olive oil over low-medium heat- don’t overcook, just until onion and garlic are transparent and your kitchen starts to smell like it (my favorite part!)
- While sauteing, cook the 4 Strips Turkey bacon until crispy
- When onions and garlic are done move to a plate and split in half to be stuffed in each burger
- When the turkey is done, place on a plate with paper towel and wipe off any grease. Then take two of the slices and put to the side for topping later! (You could also cook this later if you want warm bacon!). Use the other two slices to make bacon bits and put each slice into each of the onion and garlic piles
- Get your turkey meat out and, if it’s not already, roll into a ball. Make a cave into the burger with your finger about an inch wide and deep enough to stuff and fill with one of the piles of onion, garlic, and bacon. Tip: You don’t want all of the stuffing to be in the center of the burger so make sure to press and roll a few times then flatten out into a patty
- Stuff the second burger
- Roll burgers in the egg and breadcrumb mixture and top with onion powder and garlic powder if desired. Then get them on the grill.
- After 5 minutes, flip them burgers and cook 5 minutes longer.
- While the burgers cook, you can slice your avocado, get your lettuce, tomato, onion and any other toppings if desired, and toast your whole wheat bread.
- Get the burgers off the grill (make sure they are done and the juices run clear) and add your cheese if you’re using some and enjoy your guilt-free burger binge!